I love Thanksgiving! Family, friends, turkey/stuffing/gravy-filled meals, and four days to fill with whatever I felt like doing. I went Black Friday shopping, but dodging salespeople & shopping bags got old pretty quick. I just wanted to be in my warm kitchen cooking yummy food!
The grocery store was pretty empty (whew!), so I quickly grabbed my ingredients… and some Stoli to get me thru a long evening in the kitchen. I’ve got nothing to do tomorrow! I kicked off my prep work at 4pm-ish to have the meal almost complete when Dre got done work. The components of the main dish took up most of my time: roasting grape tomatoes with garlic & fresh basil; sautéing mushrooms with minced onions & butter; and, gleefully pounding chicken breasts to a 1/4 inch thick. Every smokey, juicy morsel of the resulting Roasted Tomato, Mushroom, & Smoked Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Breasts reminded me that it’s always worthwhile.
Roasted Tomato, Mushroom & Smoked Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Grape Tomatoes – (1-2) pints, halved
- Minced Garlic – (2) T or more
- Fresh Basil – a few chopped leaves
- Olive Oil – (3-4) T, to grease dish & coat tomatoes
- Coat baking dish with olive oil or line with non-stick sprayed foil.
- Add all ingredients and toss with olive oil.
- Cook 30-40 min in a 400 degree oven. Stir a few times until tomatoes are bubbling, but not burnt.
- Make a big batch, leftovers are great on French bread and added to pasta sauce
- White Mushrooms or Creminis or Baby Bellas -(2-3) cups, cored and sliced
- White Onion – 1/2 med onion, chopped
- Butter – (2) T
- Melt butter in a saucepan on Med. Add onion & cook about 2 min.
- Add mushrooms and give them room to breath. Julia says so.
- Stir and cook until tender.
- Use leftovers on a quick pizza or in pasta sauce, red or alfredo.
Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast – (3-4) breasts – trimmed, sliced lengthwise, & pounded to 1/4 inch thickness
- Smoked Mozzarella or Gouda – 1 oz per breast
- Roasted Tomatoes
- Sautéed Mushrooms
- Chicken Stock – (1) cup or so
- Stovetop to Oven Sauté Pan
- Long toothpicks or Bamboo picks
- Pound filleted chicken breasts to 1/4 inch thickness between sheets of plastic wrap.
- Add a few spoonsful of tomatoes & mushrooms onto half of each chicken breast.
- Layer slices of smoked cheese.
- Fold chicken breast in half and secure by sewing a toothpick or bamboo pic to secure. S&P each side of the breast.
- Pan sear breast in olive oil on Med-High until golden brown, about 5 min on each side.
- Add chicken stock to pan and bring to a boil.
- Cover pan with lid or foil and tranfer to 375 degree oven.
- Bake for 20 min, let cool for 5 min, and serve with pan jus.
- Leftovers make one KILLER sandwich!