Now that I’m armed with an immersion mixer and a bountiful harvest from my farm share, I’ve been a soup-making maniac. From a lower-carb version of 101Cookbook’s ribollita to 2 rounds of butternut squash + leek, my favorite creation of the fall was a bowlful of cumin-mint cauliflower soup. It was a one pot, minimal ingredient, flavorful blend of cheddar cauliflower via Greensgrow, toasted cumin powder, onion, chicken stock, fresh mint from my herb garden, and S&P.
What’s soup for dinner without a sandwich? My sister, Kerry, gave me a fragrant curry powder that had been taunting me from the spice cabinet and seemed like a curry chicken wrap was the right match. As the weather cools, this meal definitely warmed my belly.
Cumin-Mint Cauliflower Soup
Serves (6). Makes approx. 1.5 quarts.
- cheddar or standard cauliflower – one head, chopped into florets
- chicken stock – 3 cups, about 1.5 small cans
- yellow onion – medium, chopped
- butter or olive oil
- ground cumin – 1tsp or to taste
- fresh mint – 2T, chopped
- Bring chicken stock to a boil in a heavy stock pot. Add chopped cauliflower, cover, and bring back to a boil. Simmer for about 10 min or until cauliflower is fork tender.
- While cauliflower is cooking, heat a deep saute pan on medium. Add butter/olive oil, chopped onion, & cumin. Sweat for approx 8 min. until tender & translucent, making sure to turn lower heat if they begin to brown.
- Add onion & cumin mixture to the pot of cauliflower & stock. Combine and simmer for 10 min on medium heat.
- Turn off heat and stir in mint and S&P to taste.
- Blend mixture in the stock pot with an immersion blender or in batches in a standard blender. Thin as needed with water or additional chicken stock.
- Serve with shredded cheese, fresh mint garnish, and your favorite sandwich.
Chicken Curry Wrap
- boneless, skinless chicken breast – 2 breasts, trimmed & cut into strips
- yellow onion – 2 medium, sliced
- dry wine – 1/2 cup
- yellow curry powder – 2 tsp
- sour cream – 3/4 cups
- lettuce – chopped or shredded, your preference
- tomato – chopped or sliced, your preference
- tortillas – 2 burrito-sized flour wraps
- Heat olive oil in a saute pan on medium heat. Season chicken breast with 1 tsp of the curry powder and S&P. Add to hot pan and toss regularly, until browned & cooked through, approx. 10min. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Keep pan on medium and add 1/2 cup of white wine to deglaze. Scrape brown bits from bottled to pan with a spatula. Allow to evaporate until minimal amount of liquid remains in pan.
- Heat 2 T of olive oil in the same pan over medium until shimmering. Add onions and saute for about 5 min.
- Add remaining 1 tsp of curry powder and sweat for approx 4 min longer until tender and browned.
- Return chicken to pan and add sour cream. Combine ingredients and warm over medium-low heat for about 3 minutes.
- Lay out tortillas. Add chicken, lettuce, & tomato. Wrap like a burrito and enjoy with a toasty bowl of cumin-mint cauliflower soup.