…Wiener Shop, that is! I grew up spinning on the counter stools at this Pottstown institution. While Sunshine & I love our shopping adventures at Zern’s in search of insanely cheap produce, Lebanon bologna & $1 vintage jewelry, it’s not necessarily a place we stay to eat. On our way out of town, we decided instead to stop for a bite at The Very Best, a downtown deli known for its chili dogs for almost 90 years. I LOVE their perfectly textured tangy chili atop a flat-top seared dog with raw onions & cheese (add mustard for an “everything dog”). With a side of macaroni salad, a fountain coke, & the debate over a slice of their homemade cakes, you can’t ask for a better greasy spoon lunch. It is still is one of the “very best” places to grab a bite in Pottstown…
The Very Best Counter Companion
The Very Best Chili Cheese Dog
The Very Best Aftermath
The Very Best Weiner Shop | Since 1921
252 East High St. | Pottstown, PA 19464 | 610-323-5224
The weather is getting cold and it couldn’t be a better time for my bi-annual batch of Turkey Chili. Each time, it’s delicious in its own way, but this round may be my best to date! It was smoky & spicy with a hearty texture from the mix of Ground Turkey & Turkey Kielbasa. I topped it with shredded Cheddar and Sour Cream and paired it with Egg Noodles for leftovers.
Chipotle Turkey Chili w/ Cheddar & Sour Cream
Chipotle Turkey Chili
- Turkey Kielbasa – (1) package cut into half moons
- 85/15 Ground Turkey – (2)lbs, browned & drained
- Chili Mix – 1/2 packet of Hot, Medium, 0r Mild
- Sriracha – a few squirts
- White Onion – (2) medium, chopped
- Garlic – (2) T, minced
- Crushed Tomatoes – (1) large can
- Chicken Stock – (1) can, low-sodium
- Black Beans – (1) small can
- Chipotles in Adobo Sauce – (2) peppers from can, chopped
- Worcestershire Sauce – (4) heavy dashes
- Dried Parsley – (1) T
- Brown the Ground Turkey in an oiled pan and transfer to Crock-Pot or Dutch Oven.
- Saute Onion & Garlic in same pan with a tablespoon of butter until aromatic & translucent.
- Combine Onions, Garlic, & remaining ingredients in Crock-Pot or Dutch Oven.
- Cook on HIGH 3-5hours or LOW 6-8 hours, stirring occasionally until you can’t resist a bowl!